The improvements continue. I can:
- Drum most of my fingers
- Wipe hair from my face
- Scratch my right ear
- Push my specs up the bridge of my nose
- Wiggle my backside backwards into the wheelchair
- Wheel myself from room to room
- Use my thumb nail to change TV channels (my first bit of independence!)
- Put a marshmallow in my mouth by skewering it on the same thumb nail 🙂
- Walk the length of our kitchen with support on either side
Taking into consideration that I was quadriplegic and on full respiratory ventilation 17 months ago, I have come quite far. I have to remind myself of this every time I become impatient with my progress. If sheer willpower was the remedy, I would have been up and walking months ago. Patience was never one of my virtues (not that I have any others!). I still think of the months since May 2013 as “lost” and my life still feels as if it is on hold.
Jeff, the physio, has added new strengthening exercises to my daily routine, and I’ve got to the point where an occupational therapist can work with me to design/supply an aid to enable me to start feeding myself. Yippee!
Watch this space.